If you have varicose veins (veins that twist, bulge, and often appear swollen) or spider veins, your doctor may sclerotherapy as a safer way to treat these conditions. Sclerotherapy involves using a foamy liquid into the affected vein using a very fine needle. The procedure is extremely safe and doesn’t require any downtime. Before you check online for sclerotherapy treatments Boise, here’s what to do before and after a session.
Before the sclerotherapy session
- Wash your legs with antibacterial soap before the procedure.
- Wear loose and comfortable clothes to the clinic.
- If you are taking birth control pills or blood-thinning medications, let your doctor know.
- Get a pair of compression stockings in advance, if possible.
- Do not use any skin care product or shave the targeted area before the session.
- Do not drink for at least two days before the procedure.
After the sclerotherapy session
- Ensure that you have compression stockings.
- Your doctor will encourage you to walk but ensure to have someone to get back home.
- Do not engage in extreme exercise for at least two weeks.
- Wear your compression stockings for at least two weeks or as directed.
- Avoid direct sun exposure and use sunscreen.
- Contact your doctor if you find unusual changes in the treated area.
Other things to know
While your doctor may use local anesthesia before treating varicose veins, you won’t need general anesthesia. Sclerotherapy involves the use of needles, but this is nowhere close to surgery. You don’t need to stay back at the clinic. One session may take 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the number of veins being treated. Sclerotherapy is not a miraculous treatment. Patients usually need two to four sessions to see a significant difference in the appearance of veins. If you are taking certain medications, you should inform your doctor and discuss whether you should avoid a few before the session.
Side effects of sclerotherapy
While sclerotherapy is safe, you may have some redness and bruising at the treated site, which should get better in the next few days. Talk to your doctor immediately if you have pain or find that the skin is changing color.
Done by an expert vein doctor, you can expect excellent results with sclerotherapy, regardless of whether you are concerned about the appearance of spider veins or need help with discomfort caused by varicose veins. Find a clinic in Boise now!