Hair removal is a big step in transitioning, especially for male-to-female transitions. When people are confused about what they want to look like, temporary options are recommended. When people are sure of what they want to look like for most of their lives, more permanent solutions are available. Transgender hair removal has many options, so individuals can choose what suits them best.
Hair removal or grooming is not just a matter of hygiene or what one wants to look like. It is a contributing factor in one’s identity. This is why it is important that there are flexible options for hair grooming for the face and body.
Popular Treatments in Demand
The common treatments in facial or body hair that most transgender people seek include:
- Facial hair removal for a male to female transition.
- Facial hair growth for a female to male transition.
- Pubic hair removal for both.
- Chest hair removal for a male to female transition.
- Arms and leg hair removal for a male to female transition.
- Body hair growth for a female to male transition.
When hormone replacement therapy does not help rid of hair in MTF transition or fails to grow enough hair in FTM transition, one might seek assistance from transgender hair removal or hair growth procedures.
Popular Methods Available
The most popular methods based on safety and effectiveness are:
- Laser hair removal is popular among people with thicker hair. This procedure does not remove hair completely, and it only reduces the volume and thickness.
- Electrolysis is a treatment that most transgender people resort to.
- Body waxing is yet another simple method that is also temporary so that one can explore various styles of body hair grooming.
- Hair grafting procedure has been perfected by many trichologists.
- Scalp reduction is not recommended.
- Epilating creams provide a temporary solution that does not hurt like waxing.
These processes are all safe for the health. However, some of these processes might affect sensitive skin. This is why a patch test is recommended for the type of wax and cream in case of the temporary solutions. There are hypoallergenic waxing and epilating options for sensitive skin.
Possible Side Effects
The various procedures have potential side effects. Although rare, skin irritation and pain are not dismissible symptoms. Here is what to be prepared for:
- Localized swelling, scab, redness, irritation or pain, or hyperpigmentation in case of laser hair removal.
- Electrolysis is a permanent solution but comes with the possibility of the side effects of laser hair removal and blisters and ingrown hair.
- Waxing is somewhat painful in itself and can result in rashes if the wax used is not suitable for the client’s skin.
- Epilating creams are the easiest solution available at any grooming salon but can also cause rashes and pigmentation on sensitive skin.
These are potential side effects that don’t usually occur and can be treated easily.
Transgender hair removal techniques are being perfected all across the globe keeping in mind the comfort and safety of people of all skin types. Healthcare and cosmetology have enabled several safe procedures from which to choose.